Ikigai is a Japanese concept meaning “A Reason for Being”. It defines how these four work conditions can bring meaning to our lives:
- Doing what we are good at.
- Doing what we love.
- Doing what the world needs.
- Doing what we can be paid for.
According to this concept, working on something that has all four conditions will give a person ikigai: a Reason for Being.
- Good at + Love it = Passion
- Love it + the world Needs it = Mission
- The world Needs it + get Paid = Vocation
- Get Paid + Good at = Profession